Thursday, June 12, 2008

Whew. My last race night in the 5s, and it was a doozie. The first race was a snowball - points for the winner of each lap, increasing in value each lap. I attacked hard with 3 to go but was edged at the line, tucked in behind him, and attacked again on the next lap - got it, pushed hard, held it as he tried to come around me, barely winning the final lap.

Three hard sprints in a row and boy was I hurting. I managed to keep myself in decent condition during a scratch race with an improbable breakaway. Assuming it couldn't last, the leaders never launched a chase. I wound up moving hard at the end and got 3rd place. But my legs felt too wobbly for their own good on the miss and out, and i missed, getting pulled with 5 riders remaining.

Man, almost everybody turns very wide around turn 4 at Kissena. It's worth watching. I could have moved harder to stay in during the miss and out, but it could have been a bit sketchy. Everyone - myself included - should remember to turn all the way around that turn.

Well, I qualified for the B Feature, but it was a 12-lap Tempo - points for 1st and 2nd on each lap. These are fast, hard races to do well in. I told BA that I'd go hard to launch him forward on the 2nd lap, but there were already strong attacks being launched by that time. I burned hard for a lap and a half to move him forward, which was successful, but didn't stick. I did half-lap pulls with another rider to settle into a rhythm and work our way up to the shredded leaders' field - with two to go I caught one of them, kept plowing forward, and got up in time to sprint for 2nd across the finish line. The story of the day was that Niki, holder of the track's Hour Record, broke away and held the lead for the entire freaking Tempo.

Next up - me figuring out how to sustain a strong pace for a long enough time. I have a good sprint and I can sit in and position myself well, but I have a hard time doing any kind of solo effort.

2 Comments:

Blogger DogPound said...

I have a good sprint and I can sit in and position myself well, but I have a hard time doing any kind of solo effort.
TIME TRIAL!!!
Honestly, this is why I ride by myself a lot. I've learned how to go hard alone, which you also have to do in triathlons since drafting isn't legal.
Congrats on a great night!

12:27 PM  
Blogger beth bikes! said...

cool stuff mattio! i love hearing about your races!

i find if i cock my head left, it makes me keep my line around the curve. if you get used to doing this, you start doing it when riding on the road, and then you just look funny with a left crooked neck all the time.

4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home