Wednesday, June 25, 2008

I've got a Modolo Especial and I ate a big plate full of beans, salsa, yogurt, avocado, and pepperjack cheese. So satisfying after a night of racing.

It was my second night in the 4s. Last week went well, but it was a small 4 field, combined with the 5s - the threat of rain kept everybody away, and in fact sent us all away after only two races per field. Tonight - warm but not hot, a mix of sun and clouds - brought out a lot of people.

First up was a win and out. I have mixed feelings about this race. It's in the "-and out" bucket of "races I like," but it's a hard race (what isn't?) and you've got to be smart (when don't you?). Fortunately, I did race smart - after bridging up to the leaders who were blown from the first sprint, I put myself third wheel with a lap and a half to go for second place. A bike moved up the field uptrack of me - what's-his-name - and I moved over to get on his wheel. Perfect. In turn 4 he dove and attacked and I was right with him. I had plenty left to come around him before turn 3, and opened up some room - or did I? The shadows were in my favor - I could tell someone was trying to come around me. 50 meters, then 20, then the line - and I had him by half a wheel!

John Campo, the track director/cheerleader and former Olympian, had a huge smile, high five, and hug for me after the race. "That was awesome!" Wonderful to get such enthusiastic praise for a guy who's done so much for local cycling.

Unfortunately the other two races were a bit of a bust - a 5 lap scratch that was basically a mile long leadout for the sprinters. Epidemic in the 4s and 5s are fast guys who will just pull attacks back to the pack rather than bridge and work together to hold a lead. It makes me very much interested in having a team that will work together, including blocking or sweeping those dead weights off an attempt to really get the race moving!

Last up was a snowball. I moved strong to take the 5point lap, but was edged at the line by the guy I had beaten for 2nd in the win and out. I tried to grab his wheel to recover for the next lap, but got sudden chills and a strange, cooked sensation. I sat up and the race was over for me: disappointing.

However, that 2nd place finish was enough to earn me a spot in the A feature - just barely. I had been talking about wanting to race longer scratch races than the 5-8 lap races that are standard in the lineup, but I groaned when I saw that the A feature was a 20 lap scratch race. "Damn my tongue!" But I was excited to roll with the big boys. I shot off the front a few laps in and held a gap working with somebody else, but the pack only humored us for so long before hauling us back in. I spent a little time in the back, a little time in the front, and bridged up to another short-lived gap - it was a fun race. It was faster than other races I've been in - higher sustained speeds, which get everybody rolling fast together rather than just shattering the field cause some sprinter is sprinting for points or a win or something. Fun stuff.

A Feature, I'll be seeing you again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home