Thursday, June 26, 2008

Kissena Track Racing blog has got photos of every night of racing. Awesome. Here's one of me winning the sprint for 2nd in the miss and out this week.

***

I have a track racing pet peeve: people talking about what they can't do. As in, oh, it's barely worth trying in that 5 lap scratch - it's pretty much going to be a 4 lap leadout for the sprinters.

It's definitely true that some races just favor some racers, and for folks like us who stock up the ranks of mediocrity at the velodrome, well, it's damn hard to beat folks who are racing in races geared precisely toward their strengths.

But what's even harder is finding the motivation to do so if you think it's not even worth the effort.

Ceya taught me to race my race - back when I did one of the first things I was proud of, breaking away in a points race to score a few uncontested. He said, "Don't look back. Don't worry about them. Keep your eyes forward and race your race." I like to apply this widely around the track. Don't take yourself out of contention by waiting for the pack to swallow you, or by telling yourself what you can't do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home