Thursday, July 17, 2008

This morning, my legs are pretty damn tired; last night, I didn't feel like they have that snap. Thunderthighs suggested that if I'm still tired from Saturday, I might not be getting balanced protein; it was a nice suggestion because he didn't suggest I start eating meat, he just suggested I eat a variety of proteins. Later, Gui suggested that I rest a bit more.

I didn't feel like I had a whole lot of pizazz in my pocket last night - well positioned but outsprinted in a "1 mile final" (why isn't this just called a 4-lap scratch race?); I raced smartly in a win and out, until I made the bone-stupid mistake of thinking the second bell was calling the end of the race, and sat up the next lap - I could have bridged up to place, but idioted myself right out of the running with that. And right now, I can't even remember what the third race was. Go figure.

But the Feature, a miss and out - that was a good race. Niki, holder of the track's Hour Record, and I decided we'd break from the start. Our reasoning was, maybe they won't chase us since the race happens from the rear. Mike said he'd block for us. We placed ourself together at the rail and stayed together during the creep, and at the whistle we took off, but our friend Gabe held on and wound up keeping the pack on our ass.

No matter; we'll make it a race. And we did, staying in front, setting a fast tempo. David, one of the Big Thigh Sprinters, stayed on our ass like glue, and we worked hard to shake him and to exhaust him, attacking and counter attacking. Any hope at winning would rely on taking him out before the final sprint, but after the field was eliminated, it was Niki, me, and David lined up with 600meters to go.

I swung high on the banking trying to shake him, and he followed me up; I put the brakes on but didn't want to lose Niki completely. David stayed at my hip and brought me to the rail. Niki had enough games and started going from the pole. I stayed high with David and then jumped - not from the best spot, but I had the banking in turn 4 to help me out. I blasted by Niki in turn 1 and hoped I had a gap on David, but I didn't - he came around me at about a million miles per hour in turn 3, and there was the race. David, huge gap, me, gap, Niki.

It was satisfying to come in second, and a satisfying race to race - we played it really well, it was tough, and we got beaten.

Next time.

1 Comments:

Blogger De.Corday said...

You might also want to try taking creatine and a hefty B-vitamin complex... they help your cells recover and improve your fast-twitch energy reserves. Also, are you stretching post-race? also key for recovery, from what I've heard, though I've just begun to try it myself...

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home